How MedaCube Works
MedaCube is a bulk-loaded machine. Caregivers and users love this feature! It can store up to 16 different medications, with a base of a 90-day supply of each. The process is easy and fast, so you can stop wasting time sorting and loading individual pills into a pill box or dose-based automatic pill dispenser.
Customize your bin configuration:
• 16 regular bins
• 12 bins (4 large and 8 regular bins)
• 8 large bins
Set Dispensing Schedule
The MedaCube features up to 20 customizable daily scheduling times, as-needed medication options with safety features, as well as the ability to adjust medication doses. When adding a new medication, simply tap the first few letters of the medication name on the screen, and enter dose quantity and times.
In case your pharmacist is using QR codes for labeling your medication, the process is even simpler. Hold the amber bottle near the bar code reader located on the front of the MedaCube and all medication information is uploaded into the MedaCube automatically.
All information collected by the MedaCube is securely saved in the cloud. Authorized caregivers can view summaries and reports on their MedaCube portal account. Reports on adherence, pill inventory, pill dispensing times and when as-deeded medications are requested, are all available through a HIPAA compliant secure website.
With permission from the patient, this information can be shared with physicians and pharmacists at a touch of a button. Caregivers particularly like the ‘recent doses’ report which shows the exact time the dose was taken and displays a picture of each dose’s pills in the dispense drawer.
Caregivers are notified if a dose is late or has been missed, if there is a power failure, and when a medication needs to be refilled.
Notifications are sent through text, email, and/or phone.
Different types of notifications:
- Alerts the patient that it is time to take their medication, including non-pill form medications (inhalers, insulin, etc). It will even call the patient 10 minutes after the dose is ready if it has not been taken.
- When the patient is late for a dose, and again if a dose is missed, it notifies the caregivers
- Reminders to refill a prescription and/or obtain a new prescription are emailed to the caregivers several days before the supply is used up.
- Caregivers are notified if there is any problem with the MedaCube such as loss of Internet connectivity, loss of house power, or drawer left open. Follow-up notifications are sent when the problem is resolved.
- Whenever the MedaCube is tilted or loses house power and runs on battery the caregivers are notified. A second notice is sent when power is restored.
- Every dose of medication can be viewed by authorized caregivers through the Internet portal, including a picture of the pills dispensed.
The MedaCube can hold up to 16 different medications, with up to a 90-day supply of each. You can set up the “As-Needed” feature for your patient if approved by his/her physician. You can set the amount of as needed medication per dispense. The MedaCube can dispense multiple doses scheduled throughout the day at customizable times.
- In addition to being a useful tool for medication management, the MedaCube is also a strongbox for medication. The unit should always be locked unless a caregiver is loading it. A caregiver PIN limits patient access and protects essential features like medication schedules and dose quantities.
- Normally the MedaCube is plugged in to a power outlet. However, it has a battery backup in case of a power outage. In fact, the MedaCube can operate on battery and dispense doses for 24 hours, and in some cases even longer.
- All medication-containing bins are covered and sealed. The device has pill containment features active at all times between dispensing. The MedaCube is also tilt-aware. In case the MedaCube is tilted, dropped, or mishandled, the unit locks down and sends an alert to the caregiver.
Non-Pill Form Medications
Additionally, the MedaCube features a reminder system that can be used for non-pill form medications such as insulin, inhalers, etc. You can set multiple reminders during the day with your own custom recorded audio and on-screen text.
- Dimensions— 10″ x 10″ x 10″
- Weight — 10 lbs.
- Care — use a dry cloth to dust, and clean medication bins. Clean the dispense drawer as prompted with dry to lightly damp cloth.
- Tilt sensor — the MedaCube features a tilt sensor. If it is tilted or dropped while operating, the caregiver is notified and the MedaCube locks in the medication until the patient’s caregiver arrives.